The most recent Spectrum Dispatch doesn't have a lot of information, but the implications of the tidbits are fairly impactful to the pirating community.
- The security of digital systems, satellites, etc. are highlighted as things that players can circumvent. The mechanics are not mentioned, but border monitor satellites (see below) are the primary focus of this hacking. Hopefully, we'll see other areas this will apply.
- We don't know a lot of things, but here's my wish list:
- I'd like to see your ship's computer as the key to this. Faster computer, faster/easier hacks
- I'm a bit torn on whether I think this should be a minigame vs. % chance. I guess it depends on the quality of the execution. I'd hate to play a poor reflex game over and over.
- I'd like to see illegal malware and hacking scripts you can buy (perhaps on Spider)
- I'd like to see aggressive defenses that put the attacker in danger
- Despite the wishes of others on the forum, I think hacking would be a cool combat mechanic. You could image 'hacks' that are fired like weapons (maybe requiing physical tags) that disrupt / control automated systems. Drones, IFF missles, AI controlled turrets, etc. could be disrupted with 'hacks'.
- Listed as a big security issue for the UEE.
- The borders are protected by sentry drones that can be hacked by pirates / smugglers.
- Criminals flee over the Banu border to get away from Advocacy forces. The Banu have no central government and do not respond to extraditions.
- This all sounds awesome to me. The thrill of subjacating systems to sneak into / out of alien territory or to make a 'run for the border' sounds like CIG is treating the criminal element as key members of the community.
- My big lingering question revolves on where the borders exist. We know there will be checkpoint stations, but does this mean some jumps will not have stations? Or does the border exist mid-system and we need to use different way points to approach the border outside of the checkpoint?
- Drones are casually mentioned as monitoring the border. This is the first confirmation we've had that non-human piloted craft will exit in game.
- Drones can be 'hacked' and have their sensors disabled.
- Previous fiction (Lost Generation) has hinted that AI are not allowed in UEE combat roles. So, perhaps we'll only see human-less ships without weaponry
- I think Black Market armed drones would be awesome addition to the game. Perhaps as a snub fighter replacement on the Constellation?